Thalassery Fort-Symbolizing Malabar’s Imperialism
The famous Thalassery Fort is located at a distance of 22 km in the northern district of Kannur, Kerala. The British constructed the fort in the year 1708 as a sign of establishment of their colonial rule over the region, and Thalassery fort quickly emerged to become their military base.
The fort is built upon a rocky cliff at Thalassery beach. Its design consists of square shaped architecture, massive walls, huge doors, flanking bastions and secret tunnels into the sea, resulting in an overall palatial and dominant structure.
Although the East India Company had arrived in Thalassery in the year 1683 itself, they had to move on owing to obstruction from the Dutch. In 1700, Thalassery Fort was built by the British on a small hill called Tiruvellapadkunnu and was later strengthened by increasing its height and bastions in 1708. It later went on to serve as the nucleus of Thallassery regions development.
Thalassery Fort (other attractions)
The coastal town of Thalassery is dotted with historical monuments and sites, some of which are:
• The Sports Authority of India Gymnastic Centre
• Thiruvangadi Sree Rama Swami temple
• St.John's Anglican Church
• The St. Rosario Church
• Jagannatha temple
• The Old mosque
Visiting Time: 9 am - 6 pm
Thalassery Fort (How to reach)
By Air: Karikur airport is the nearest one, situated in the Malappuram district near Kozhikod some 93 km away.
By Rail: Kannur railway station located nearby is well linked to all major states.
By Road: Thallassery is well connected through a network of roads and one may use KSRTC buses, Public super fast buses and deluxe bus services plying frequently to and from thallassery.