Peermade is another glorious addition to the list of panoramic hill stations in Kerala. At 915 m above sea level, it is located in Idukki district at a distance of 40 kms from Kumily town. This beautiful hill station with its green landscape is enhancing the beauty of Western Ghats in central Kerala.
Peermade derives its name from a Sufi Saint and an associate of Prophet Peer Mohammad, literally meaning ‘the hill of the peer’. The whole of Peermade is covered with lush green plantations of cardamom, eucalyptus, tea, rubber and coffee. Natural grasslands, waterfalls and pine forests enhance the overall experience, making it a hotspot summer resort.
Tourist visiting Peeremade are treated with a pleasant blend of scenic views of nature along with several adventure opportunities. Trekking, Horse riding and cycling are popular sport in its surroundings. Primarily owing to its altitude, Peermade boasts of a pleasant weather all through the year with cool breeze blowing most of the day. Visit here for some of the best views of sunrise and sunset.
• Tea estates: A tour of Tea estates and factories is popular amongst the tourists in and around Peermade including one at Pattumala.
• Waterfalls: Nallathanni, Valanjamkanam, Panchalimedu are some of the picturesque waterfalls worth visiting at Peermade.
• Adventure options: Peermade is ideally suited for trekking, cycling and horse riding. Some of the terrific trekking routes are Grampi or Parunthupara, Peeru Hills, Vagamon Kalthotti and Kuttikanam.
• Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary: Just 43 km away from peermade is the well known wildlife reserve famous for its great variety of flora and fauna including tigers, elephants, flying squirrels and leopards.
• The raw drugs museum: Well known for showcasing over 200 varieties of rare and endangered herbs.
• The summer residence of the rulers of Tranvancore
• The mausoleum of the Sufi saint Peer Mohammed
• The Velamkanni Matha Church
PEERMADE (How to reach)
Peerumedu is located at a distance of 85 kms east to Kottayam en-route Thekkady. Regular Bus service from nearby cities of Kumily and Kottayam are available.